Friday, September 27, 2013

Stanley Goes to Space (sort of)!



If I ever am not flat again, my dream is to become an astronaut. I asked mom to send me there but she said no. I don’t really know why; she didn’t give me an explanation. She did, however, tell me I could look online to find a virtual tour of space and she even made me a space helmet to go along with the tour! Mom is great! J  She said this is the closest I will ever get to space and for me to count myself as one of the lucky ones. 
                During the 25 minute tour the former commander of the station Sunita Williams floats around the orbital laboratory station explaining what each room is for and how astronauts spend their day while in orbit. Williams is a former commander of the station and this video was shot the day before she left the orbiting outpost. A few places inside the space station I was able to visit were the Japanese laboratories, US laboratories, and European modules where science and medical experiments are done; Node 2 which is a sleeping quarters for some of the astronauts on board; and an exercise room which included room for a treadmill, weight lift machine, and bike! Check it out for yourself!
                I’ve also found an app by Dream Walk called ISS. It allows you to interact with the International Space Station in 3D as it orbits the planet Earth. It also allows you to learn more about the structure and modules within the ISS. There are videos, picture galleries, astronaut’s views from space, and much more! Enjoy!

The app and more information can be found on the Nasa website.
If you would like to take the virtual field trip of the ISS, please click here.


No comments:

Post a Comment